Released: November 9th, 2022
Developer: Hollow Rose Studios
Genre: Otome, Amare, Slice-of-Life, Contemporary, Romance, Visual Novel
TW (spoilers): Medical trauma, body talk/discomfort, death, workplace abuse, biphobia/family abandonment, car accident injury
Platform: PC, Mac
Itch.io – An Everyday Love
Being young is the best – you’re full of energy, relentlessly optimistic, and can take on as many risks as you want . . . is a saying that has never applied to you. No, you’re tired and just trying to make it through each day.
As a 24-year-old marketing assistant living in the city, day-to-day life is difficult enough, and you’ve had to put your dream of writing a novel on the wayside. After your boss asks you to complete a new assignment at work, you unwittingly begin a new chapter in your life, allowing you to pursue romance, strengthen your friendships, and take a leap to fulfill your dream.
The choices you make will determine your success. No matter how much you may have struggled in the past, maybe an everyday love is still possible for you . . .VIA ITCH.IO PAGE
- Wordcount – 240,000 words, estimated 5 hours gameplay for each full route
- CGs – Six special images per character (viewable through image gallery)
- Customizable MC – Rename the main character and select her skin color and body type (3 skin tones, 2 hairstyles, and 2 body types). This character will appear in special CGs.
- Choice Variation – Make choices that customize, advance, or deter romance and/or friendship
- Endings – A best ending, worst ending, and two neutral endings per character
- Bonus Stories – Two bonus stories for each love interest, unlocked through completing the best and worst endings for their respective routes.
- Optional Spicy content (no graphic images, only written descriptions and not in the demo) – Players can decide if they want a sweet or spicy romance without impacting the good/bad ending outcome. Consent is emphasized multiple times, allowing players to change their mind at multiple points, all with their own fluffy alternatives! In the main game, there are a bunch of inappropriate jokes and a couple of gags, so an older audience is still preferred regardless of whether or not the spicy content is explored (18+).
Logan – The polite but mysterious senior manager who’s widely admired by his
colleagues . . . even as they simultaneously gossip about how his uncle, the
CEO, may have given him the role. His reserved demeanor belies a
perceptive eye that can intuit the emotions of those around him . . . including
Ezra – The serious analyst who’s known for being direct and meticulous. He
previously worked for a larger company and left without an explanation, his
private life unknown to his co-workers. Still, he’s not unkind and seems to
respect your work ethic.
Adrian – The upbeat and easily flustered personal trainer. Despite his easy-going
nature, he doesn’t appreciate being condescended to and values your
willingness to accept him and his eccentricities.
An Everyday Love is a game you should definitely play! The customizable MC and name change really won me over but also the stories. Each character reveals some important information and you also learn a lot about yourself. The game also shows a realistic view on mental health. It doesn’t pull many punches and I like that. Too often mental health issues are romanticized or spoken of lightly. It’s not too graphic but I feel it does its job.
Also, the love interests all are loveable. They are all unique in their own way and are very attentive to MC. If I had to choose a favorite it’d probably be Adrian. I just love the way he showed support for her in his route and also his spicy scenes are *chef kiss*. Another plus is the art style is unique. I grew to love it. At first, I was ready to disregard it but there’s something cozy about it. Sure, it’s not one of the fancy artwork you typically see in games but it doesn’t take away from anything.
If there were any otome/amare game to play, this would be the one. If you’re not into the super descriptive mature scenes, you can adjust to your own liking. There’s also accessibility options that make the game playable for almost anyone (most notably the option to have scenes read aloud). Without giving away too much, I’d just suggest playing the game yourself.
About Hollow Rose Studios
Hollow Rose Studios is a WOC solo visual novel development studio dedicated to creating stories with heart – be it full, broken, or humorous. Make sure to follow, share, and support!
If you love my reviews and posts, consider leaving me a tip!
Once again, thanks for reading! Please like, share, subscribe, and/or leave a comment!