Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen, 夜桜さんちの大作戦
Genre: Romantic Comedy, Spy
Written By: Hitsuji Gondaira
Publisher: Shueisha/Viz Media
Magazine: Weekly Shōnen Jump
*Starts playing cheesey Spy theme song* I don’t know if yall have noticed but it’s been a great year for spies. They are prospering in manga and Mr. 007 himself is making a comeback, what a time to be alive. Mission: Yozakura Family was the second spy-themed manga I was introduced to this year. The first was the incomparable Spy x Family (which a review for that masterpiece is coming soon so be patient) but today we’re focusing on the Yozakura Family.
Taiyo Asano is a super shy high school student and the only person he can talk to is his childhood friend, Mutsumi Yozakura. It turns out that Mutsumi is the daughter of the ultimate spy family! Even worse, Mutsumi is being harassed by her overprotective, nightmare of a brother, Kyoichiro. What drastic steps will Taiyo have to take to save Mutsumi?! A spy family comedy – the mission begins!summary FROM MANGAPLUS.COM
To start with, our main character Taiyo has to pretty much be trained to become a spy and be seen as worthy enough to be Mutsumi’s husband. The Yozakura family is notoriously known as the top spy family that has ever existed. The first few chapters are like a test for Taiyo. He has to learn the ins and outs of what it takes to be a successful, deadly spy. Being the only surviving member of his family, after losing his parents and younger brother in a car crash, any will to really continue living is lost. It isn’t until Mutusmi his childhood friend tries to support him every step of the way.
The whole transformation into a spy also helps him to gain a different outlook on life. Now, he has people, a family, he wants to help protect. He’s become more open and doesn’t try to take everything on by himself. It’s actually a healthy change. What drew me to this series was not only because of SPIES, but also because I love the bond that Taiyo builds with not just Mutsumi but, each of her siblings. Although, there is the one sibling that is the most stubborn of all and hates Taiyo and that would be the eldest brother, Kyoichiro.
Overprotective doesn’t even begin to cover it. It’s more of a sister complex. He LOVES and adores his sister to the point me and everyone consider it to be creepy. Remember when I was venting my dislike of Lance Crown’s obsession with his little sister? Can’t remember? Let me jog your memory: Core Reviews drags Lance Crown.
However, the series does a great job of building up and also explaining Taiyo’s and Mutsumi’s relationship with one another. They are clearly made for each other and you can see how much they both care and love the other. Even though Mutsumi doesn’t directly involve herself in any missions, she’s always there to patch Taiyo up and give him the best care. She’s his biggest motivator and cheerleader and I think that’s just swell.
Each member of the Yozakura family is unique in that they all bring something different to the table and have their own specialty.
- Mutsumi Yozakura – 10th head of the family and Taiyo’s wife. I’m not really a fan of young marriages but I do love and support them as a couple. She doesn’t have any specific powers except that her blood is able to give someone abilities. She also has a strand of white hair due to the stress her eldest brother caused her.
- Kyoichiro Yozakura – Eldest brother and strongest of the family. His combat style is called Steel Spider which leads to most of his attacks being named after things related to the arachnid. Super protective of Mitsumi. The rest of the family hate him but acknowledge he is the strongest.
- Futaba Yozakura – Eldest sister and considered the second strongest. She’s seen as the mother figure since she’s the most caring and acts the most mature. Even though she’s tiny in stature, her strength is crazy. Her combat style is more martial arts and hand-to-hand combat focused. Basically, the good sis has got hands rate E for everyone.
- Shinzo Yozakura – MY FAVORITE SIBLING BECAUSE HE’S SO DANG CUTE. So Shinzo is the second eldest brother and third sibling (yes I’m putting them in order. It’s just easier to remember). His combat style is weaponry meaning if you need someone to take long walks on the beach and talk about the latest rifle series or…guns, or whatever I don’t know anything about weapons, he’s your man. Despite how he looks he’s actually quite shy and has difficulty communicating with people. I would rate him as the second most caring. He tries to live up to any expectation set of him and will always try to protect his loved ones. 8/10 he’s hiding in a trash can and for the life of me I have no clue what that’s about.
- Shion Yozakura – She’s the second eldest sister. She’s like the e-girl of the family. Her combat style is, yes you guessed it, anything to do with hacking and technology. When she’s not making security cameras go offline or hacking the traffic lights, Shion enjoys playing videogames in her spare time.
- Kengo Yozakura – He is the second youngest son and the free spirit. His combat style is disguises. He’s so good at them that you’ll never know if you’re talking to him or not. He not only makes himself look like his target but he can also disguise his voice, his mannerisms, his personality, he can essentially just transform himself into whoever he wants. He’s not the serious types and just enjoys having fun. I think he has an affiliation with cats because he has a paw print on his cheek and always wears this hoody with cat ears and a bell around his neck. Also, I’ve never once seen his eyes. His bangs are always blocking them so I have no clue what he really looks like, which I guess could be the point.
- Nanao Yozakura – Then, we have the baby, the fetus, the cute little adorable last born who I want to adopt and make mine. Now he is good with hand-to-hand combat as well but mainly known for poisons. He’s like a cute mad scientist. He’s honestly my favorite son after Shinzo. We were blessed to see his face a few times but he’s usually wearing a bucket over his head. He is able to revert to his normal self but it usually doesn’t last long and ends with him going back to his mutated form.
- Goliath – Lastly, the best guard dog in the world (Sorry Mike). Quick note, I love that they included him in their list of family members, so Taiyo had to also win him over in order to be in good favor with the rest of the family.
- Lots of action in every chapter with very few fillers.
- Easy to access via Shonen Jump app, Viz Media.com or downloading on Kindle.
- If you’re into spy/action/comedy genre, this is a perfect fit for you. Most likely for those who have also read Spy x Family
Therefore, with all this praise being given, it’s not hard to imagine that I’m giving this manga a whopping
It’s just a really good series that I think a lot of people would enjoy and I hope you all take the chance to get into. I’m not sure how much longer it will last, though it seems as if it might be nearing its end but if they can keep it interesting and fresh then I wouldn’t mind this being a long serialization. Once again, than you for reading! If you enjoyed this review please leave a like, comment and follow!